Shrewsbury achieves Tree City USA Status for the 4th Year in 2023, thanks to City of Shrewsbury Horticulturist Beth Parker. To find out more about the Tree City USA Program, keep reading, or click here.
About Tree City USA:
Started in 1976, Tree City USA is one of the Arbor Day Foundation’s oldest programs. Our founders had a vision for a greener, healthier America, and hoped this initiative would inspire change on a nationwide level. The first Tree City USA cohort was comprised of 42 communities in 16 states. Today, the program includes more than 3,600 communities (including Shrewsbury!) from all 50 states, Washington D.C., and Puerto Rico.
A thriving urban forest offers many advantages to communities. Here are just a few:
- Trees help absorb the sounds of traffic in urban areas by 40%.
- Neighborhoods with trees are seven to nine degrees cooler than those without.
- Trees reduce energy costs up to 25% by shading buildings and protecting them from winter winds.
- Homes with trees have higher property values.
- Green space plays a major role in improving mental and physical health.
- Planting and maintaining trees absorbs carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, mitigating the effects of climate change.